Friday, June 6, 2008

Week 4 - Wikis

The idea of Wikis sounds interesting; an online document that anyone (or anyone with the proper authorisation) can edit, which can be used as a way of pooling the talents of a number of people.

The Wikis I looked at were the SJCPL Subject Guides wiki, Book Lovers Wiki, and Wookieepedia. I’m particularly attracted to the idea of posting book reviews and similar information, but the idea of being able to correct erroneous information in a Wiki site does have its appeal. Unfortunately, either I don’t know enough or the information I looked at was all correct, because I couldn’t find any errors in the few pages I looked at!

There is an obvious danger of vandalism, though, and I think there needs to be some restrictions on access, to prevent the antisocial minority spoiling a Wiki for everyone else.

No comments: